Lighting design and installation experts
We’ll take the time to truly understand the way you and your family live, work, and relax in your home before designing a custom lighting plan tailored to your aesthetic and your lifestyle.
The Afterglow difference
01. After a decade in the commercial lighting industry, we’ve realised that home owners are seeking the same quality, reasonably priced lighting products that are often only available on larger commercial projects. We supply industry leading lighting products that are cost effective, high performance, and beautifully designed to complement your home.
02. We will design a tailored lighting plan to suit your budget, provide all the light fittings and control panels, and oversee the installation of your new lights and controls, ensuring your experience is as hassle-free as possible.
03. At Afterglow, we combine our technical knowledge of lighting science with interior design skills to create the right blend of beautiful ambience where you relax (e.g. a soft, warm mood in a lounge room) and functional lighting where you work hard (e.g. adding bright task lighting over kitchen benches). We source the latest lighting technology (like Casambi wireless lighting control systems).
04. We’re the friendly, affordable and knowledgeable lighting experts that combine installation experience with a passion for design. We’d love to guide you in transforming your home with light. Get in touch to book an obligation-free consultation.
Interior & exterior lighting: Home in Lane Cove – Sydney
Afterglow really understand what an architect expects. They translated what I had in mind into reality, bringing the ambience and functionality I was seeking to the lighting in my home. I also appreciated that every stage of the process from design to implementation was hassle free.
what we achieved
01. The architect owner of this historic 1880s home undertook a major renovation to double the size of the home by adding a modern wing. The client designed the interior lighting plan, and Afterglow was hired to advise him on the right fittings, source those fittings and perform the installation. Every stage of the collaboration from supply to installation ran smoothly.
02. The client’s lighting plan included multiple downlights. He requested LEDs for their energy efficiency, however he was seeking the warm glow of incandescent light from his home’s historical past. We advised him to choose a warm white (2700K) led lamp, enabling him to use contemporary bulbs to craft the cosy, old-world ambience he was seeking.
03. We were then tasked with lighting up the driveway using low bollards and wall lights. The bollards not only made the driveway easier to navigate but also allowed the shrubbery and trees to be lit in the evenings. This lighting created a beautiful feature when viewed both from the glass-windowed living room that overlooks the front garden and from the street.
04. The client asked us to light up the sandstone wall along the front boundary. Because a footpath runs beside this wall, we designed a lighting solution that was recessed into the ground to shine the light against the wall and not into pedestrians’ eyes. We installed in-ground fittings by Aqualux to cast generous light onto the wall, highlighting this feature’s texture, colours and warmth.
Move the slider < and > to see what a difference Afterglow makes
Lighting redesign: Central Park Penthouse – Sydney
The guys from Afterglow are so easy to deal with. They knew exactly how to solve our gloomy lighting problem and came up with some really beautiful and innovative ideas for us too. With a designer and an electrician on their team, and the fact that they supply the fittings too, there was zero stress for our family. We love the result!
What we achieved
01. The pre-existing lighting in this Sydney penthouse apartment didn’t have enough lighting positions, causing too much contrast – this meant a mix of gloomy, shadowy dark areas and others which were overly bright and glary. The quality of light was poor, not allowing the textures and colours of the clients’ paintings, flooring and other luxurious materials to shine. We solved the clients’ lighting concerns by designing a lighting plan with a mix of quality light fittings.
02. We began our redesign by consulting closely with the owners. We measured the apartment to create a 3D model. We then conceived a tailored lighting redesign that considered not just the size of each room, but how the clients used them and which features they wanted highlighted. By adding our lighting plan into the 3D model and creating Photoshop mock-up images, we were able to help our clients visualise the dramatic effect Afterglow’s redesigned lighting would have on their apartment and lifestyle.
03. Our redesign included replacing poor-quality downlights with brighter, high-quality lights and bathing paintings in light using washing downlights. We concealed LED strips as task lighting under kitchen counters and along a curtain line, creating a luminous wall of softly-lit fabric—a beautiful feature designed to obscure the view. We ensured lighting was both bright and dimmable down to just 0.1% brightness with smooth dimming and no flickering using eldoLED drivers. As a Casambi Australia partner, we installed the latest lighting technologies.
04. After installation, we taught the clients how to use their Casambi Wireless control system that allows them to dim the lights and set different lighting scenes at the touch of a button (e.g. a ‘sleep scene’ where only some lights remain on at a low level to allow safe movement at night). We also set a pattern of lights to come on and off automatically at certain times of day. The clients were extremely happy with Afterglow’s lighting redesign that dramatically transformed the ambience and functionality of their apartment.